Dr. Brett Hester offers comprehensive family dentistry treatments, exams, and procedures, for patients of all ages and for the entire family at our Valdosta, GA, practice. Along with Dr. Hester, our friendly and caring team takes pride in helping all of our patients feel welcome and comfortable, while achieving the happiest, healthiest smile possible. Family dentistry encompasses many of the same great general dentistry procedures, but with care administered for young children, senior adults, and everyone in between. Having a dentist available who can treat both parents and children makes our office a convenient process for growing families.
Importance of Pediatric Dentistry and Preventative Care
The goal of a family dentistry is for the whole family to receive treatment under the same roof, to create healthy habits together, and maintain beautiful, healthy smiles. As a parent, we understand how important it is to have a trusted dentist available who can care for your child’s developing teeth.
Family dentistry aims to provide services for all generations of a family.
We encourage parents to start bringing in their children as soon as the child’s first tooth erupts. During an appointment, Dr. Hester can instruct you on how to care for your child’s teeth at home. Enamel in children is softer than in adults, making teeth more susceptible to tooth decay. When Dr. Hester provides care for your young child and into their adolescent years, it allows him to keep x-rays on file to notice any immediate changes in their growing teeth so he can provide the necessary care. Pediatric dentistry and preventative care, such as fluoride treatments and dental sealants can be vital to a child’s vulnerable teeth.
The goal of a family dentistry is for the whole family to receive treatment under the same roof, to create healthy habits together, and maintain beautiful, healthy smiles.
Commonly Performed Family Dentistry Treatments
- Dental Cleanings and Exams: Both parents and children should visit the dentist every six months for a routine dental cleaning and examination. Even if your at-home regimen is superb, the only way for plaque buildup to be effectively removed is through a professional dental cleaning. Using a high-powered polisher and abrasive paste, one of our friendly hygienists will clean and polish your teeth. At your examination, x-rays will also be taken to monitor any underlying issues below the surface of teeth and the gum line.
- Dental Sealants: Children and adults more susceptible to decay in their back molars can have dental sealants placed. These plastic coatings mold seamlessly to the tooth to protect food and bacteria from becoming stuck in the crevices.
- Fluoride Treatments: After your dental cleaning, you will be encouraged to rinse with fluoride to strengthen the enamel. This mixture can repair a tooth that is already showing signs of demineralization and help prevent the enamel from weakening further. Since enamel in children is much more susceptible to tooth decay, fluoride treatment is highly recommended during each visit. We offer fun-flavored rinses to make it more enjoyable for children.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings: If a cavity is detected during your examination, Dr. Hester can perform a same-day filling. We prefer to use composite resin rather than silver amalgam (metal) fillings. Composite resin, made from ceramic and acrylic, offers the same great durability and can be tinted to match your natural tooth to reveal aesthetically pleasing results.
- Fastbraces®: Safe for both children and adults, Fastbraces® provides a faster, more affordable solution to straightening crooked teeth than traditional metal braces. Many patients can achieve results in about four months.
- Invisalign®: If you or your teen is looking for a more inconspicuous orthodontic solution to correcting your smile, we offer Invisalign® clear aligners. Aligners are virtually invisible and can be easily removed for eating and cleaning. To be optimally effective, each set of aligners must be worn for 22 hours a day for two weeks.
- Teeth Whitening: Enamel can begin to yellow and discolor as a result of the foods you eat. If your teeth have lost their sparkle, Dr. Hester offers professional strength teeth whitening to significantly brighten your smile.
Benefits of a Family Dentistry
Some of the great benefits of a family dentistry practice include:
- Streamlined Dental Care: You don’t have to stress about taking your kids to a separate dentist. A family dentistry can treat you and your child on the same day, simplifying dental care for the entire family.
- Wide Variety of Services: Because of the age range of patients Dr. Hester treats, he offers an array of services that includes general dentistry treatments, cosmetic dentistry treatments, orthodontics, and restorative dentistry treatments, such as dentures and dental implants.
- Established Trust and Dental History: Dr. Hester is passionate about building a personal relationship with families so they will learn to trust his expertise. By going to the same dentist year after year, you will feel more comfortable sharing concerns more freely and problem solving together about the best solution for you or your child. You will also have easy access to your dental records since all your files will be housed in one location, reducing the risk of problematic concerns being overlooked.
Schedule Your Family Consultation Today
To learn more about the treatments we provide and how we can serve you, please contact us online or call our office at (229) 247-3400. Dr. Hester looks forward to meeting you and providing care for your entire family for many years to come.